Obituary of Ralph Bolliger
RALPH WENDELL BOLLIGER 9/22/1931-10/25/2023
Ralph Bolliger was born to William and Frieda (Zurbuchen) Bolliger at Emanuel Hospital in Portland, Oregon 9/22/1931; he came full circle and passed away at Emanuel 10/25/2023. He has an older sister, Evelyn Gourley, of Topeka, KS.
Ralph graduated from Grant High School, Portland, OR in 1949. He received his BA in Business Administration and Economics from Willamette University, Salem, OR in 1953 where he was a member of Beta Theta Pi. He earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence from Willamette University College of Law in 1955.
Ralph served in the United States Navy 1955-1959. He retired as a Captain in the United States Naval Reserve in 1977.
Ralph was in Private Practice of Law 1959-1996. He was admitted to practice in all State and Federal Courts in Oregon, the 9th U.S. Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. He was Past President of the Washington County (Oregon) Bar Association. He was Past Chairman of the Oregon State Bar Committee on Probate Practice and Procedure.
Ralph’s activities included:
· Active Member of First United Methodist Church since 1959
· Trustee of FUMC 1966-1987 and 1992-1999
· Lay Member of Annual Conference (UMC) 1987-1992
· Member and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference of the UMC 1966-1988
· Section Leader and other positions with United Way
· Member of the Board of Directors and Chairman of Washington County (OR) Education Service District (elected position) 1966-1978
· Trustee and Vice President of The Collins Foundation 1980-2016
· Trustee of Marylhurst College 1985-1995
· Trustee of Willamette University 1993-2002
· Member of Advisory Board of Oregon Medical Laser Center 1994
· President of the Terwilliger Plaza Foundation
Ralph enjoyed family, travel, gardening, music, bridge, reading, and golfing at Columbia Edgewater CC (Portland, OR), Monterey CC (Palm Desert, CA), and St. Andrews (Scotland).
Ralph married his high school sweetheart, Sally Lichty, in 1952; she predeceased him in 2013. (He fondly referred to her as “a quitter” for giving up after only 60 years of marriage.) Ralph is survived by his Wife, Peggy Proctor Cook (m. 2014), his Daughters Judy Anderson (Dan), Laurie Bolliger (Dr. Thomas Henry), and Rondi Bolliger-Bennett (Keith Bennett). He is also survived by Peg’s children Henry Marcus Harding, III (Peggy Harding), Gilian Fenner (Chris), and Ian Cook (Stephanie). Ralph has 6 Grandchildren: Josh Anderson (Tonia), Cassandra Marks (Steve), Allison Anderson, Marla Igoe (Robbie), Tommy Henry (Brittni), and Isabella Fenner. He lovingly teases his 6 Great-Grandchildren, Aiden, Isabella, and Emily Anderson; Austin and Briana Igoe; and Clayton Henry. Ralph is also survived by devoted Nephew, Matthew Schmidt (Sian Killingsworth) and their Children: Serena and Bryn Killingsworth.
Ralph would be honored by any memorial contributions to the above-stated organizations.To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Ralph Bolliger, please visit Tribute Store